I've Been Admitted to Law School. The Question is...Can I Survive?

Narkoleptomania

Saturday, March 12, 2005

About Santa Clara

After chatting with my friend at Santa Clara, I gleaned this info, though I'd post it since I know at least a couple people who're considering Santa Clara and of course there's Aspiring Lawyer who I don't know, but know of who's also considering Santa Clara.

Here we go:

  • Rent - Really expensive. Apparently $450-$550 for a room in a house with 3 or 4 others and upwards of $850 for a 1BR unfurnished.

  • Professors - The usual mix, some good some bad and the IP program shines above all. There's also a very high bar passage rate there. And as we all know, Santa Clara gets much props in Cali - outside the region the rep isn't that hot.

  • 1L Opportunities - Are mostly volunteer but they exist so you should find something to do in the summer.

  • Upon Graduation - Salaries are in the usual over $100 000 range but the cost of living is really high, so it pretty much works out to $60 000-$70 000 in real dollars.

  • The Weather - Doesn't get much better than that. An estimated 20 days with rain throughout the whole winter and 5 or so below 50 degrees.

  • Stuff to do - You need a car, apparently Santa Clara is straight suburbia so you need to get to San Jose or San Francisco to get your party on.