I've Been Admitted to Law School. The Question is...Can I Survive?

Narkoleptomania

Monday, February 14, 2005

The Joys of Being a Lawyer

Evan has a post on Notes from the Legal Underground about the fact that he and his wife drew blanks to the question, "what do you like best about being a lawyer?" They eventually came up with answers on further thought but still, no gut response. Sadly, I have no immediate answers for what I think I'll like best about being a lawyer. Wow. This is hard. This shouldn't be so hard. Slightly depressing too since I've wanted to be a lawyer forever. Well he threw the comments open asking other lawyers why they want to be lawyers so hopefully something one of them says will trigger some sort of response. How sad is that?

Hmm, I already know I don't want to do public interest right off the bat, so the myth about wanting to help people isn't going to cut it. I could be richer doing business, so it can't just be the money. I can say I do like the notion of problem solving and look forward to being in a career that continually challenges me, of course if I do big law the most challenging problem I'll have is how to keep awake while doing all that document review...

OK, it's doubly clear that I'm going to have to keep checking his post comments to see if anybody has any ideas that grab me.