I've Been Admitted to Law School. The Question is...Can I Survive?

Narkoleptomania

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Is This Typical?

I caught up with a friend this weekend who goes to Santa Clara. The usual gripes about the grade curve and all that - loves the locale though - he mentioned that at the end of the year the bottom 12% of the 1L class will be asked to leave.

I had no idea this happened, I didn't know you could actually get kicked out of law school...pending well catastrophic circumstances. Also since once the bottom 12% go they'll simply be replaced by those right above them I'm not really clear on the point of the whole exercise.

So yeah, do all schools do this? I've never checked the Santa Clara website in detail but I stopped by when they sent me a fee waiver...and I read the catalogue...this little tidbit was definitely missing.