I've Been Admitted to Law School. The Question is...Can I Survive?

Narkoleptomania

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Brass, Pure Brass

This dude is straight up gangsta. He quit his job so he could be a full time blogger. He wants his regular readers to contribute enough dough to keep him afloat. Apparently last Spring he became overloaded and couldn't juggle his social and professional responsibilities with his blog so...
After thinking about it for a few weeks, I had a bit of an epiphany. The real problem was the tension between my web design career and my self-publishing efforts; that friction was unbalancing everything else. One of them had to go, and so I decided to switch careers and pursue the editing/writing of this site as a full-time job.

At first when I read about Jason Kotte quitting his job to focus on blogging I thought it was a pretty dumb idea, why'd you quit a paying job and gamble on making enough money for content people can get for free, however on further consideration, I have very little doubt that he'll pull it off. This is just the type of thing that will make people shell out their hard earned and not so hard earned money to pay for. I'm sure we all remember the chick that ran up some huge credit card bills and got people to clear her debt by putting up a site on the web and looking for donations. This isn't entirely the same since people will be paying for and, I assume, receiving good content - hopefully better than the free content. Generally, I'd say that netizens are generous folk, developers of great software, such as say...bittorent :)...get tons of donations from people who use the software, Loki from Lokitorrent received hundreds of dollars in donations to help fight the MPAA (which sadly didn't work).

So, I've changed my mind from thinking that this was a pretty dumb move on the part of Jason Kotte, I think there's a great chance that he may end up making as much as a mediocre rap star. I hope it works out for him because it'd really suck if it didn't. I'd be surprised...but I could have a laugh about it. Also, if it doesn't work out, he could take a few tips from Mark Jen at 99zeros who seems to be having a blast as an otherwise unemployed blogger (the guy sounds really chipper having just lost his job).

Also, might I say, I enjoy activities such as sleep, channel surfing and generally being lazy, if there's anyone out there who'd be willing to pay me to do these activities so I won't ever have to get a real job, holla! Seriously...holla!

P.S. I came across Kotte's story through a blog whose name for the life of me I can't remember. Sorry!