I've Been Admitted to Law School. The Question is...Can I Survive?

Narkoleptomania

Monday, January 10, 2005

One of the things I have started to do since I became obsessed with law school is comb the internet for any and all law school related things (thanks Google). One of the sites I came across is LawSchoolNumbers.com which was linked from lawschooldiscussion.org. LawSchoolNumbers is a website that allows anonymous posters to put up their GPA and LSAT score(s) and other extra-curricular info as well as the schools to which they applied and whether they got accepted, rejected, deferred. This is all done, I gather, to help other aspiring law students like myself. The one thing I can’t help thinking is, isn’t it possible that all of this is crap? You know like somebody will put that they have a 2.1 gpa from Green Mountain College (in Vermont) and a 156 LSAT and got into a top 25 law school just to make you scratch your heads?

I ask because I do believe that I’m capable of doing something like that depending on my mood. I’ve never done it mind you, and there’s a 99.99% chance that I never will but there’s that possibility that I could feel just that idle one day or that someone else just might. I know I’m not the only idle one out there. Don’t pretend.

The reason I bring this up is because I happened upon a very passionate (read angry) discussion on LawSchooLdiscussion about the unfair admittance policies of some of the top 25 law schools. The whole thing degenerated into a mud-slinging match centered around affirmative action because as some of our main characters claimed some of the scores of the people on LawSchoolNumbers who got into top schools are only possible because they’re minority (read black…or African American if that’s more politically correct). I won’t touch on the affirmative action issue right now as it is relatively late and I won’t be able to do it justice but I think that it is important that some of these things have to be taken with a grain of salt, I mean here I am writing all this stuff, for all you know I’m Paris Hilton pretending I can make complete sentences. OK, no, that’s too much of a stretch. My point is, however, that even if I say that whatever I’m writing is true doesn’t necessarily mean that it is and it’s certainly not a good idea to use unproven facts as a basis for a serious debate.

1 Comments:

You've probably figured this out by now, since this post is from a week or two ago... but yes, people absolutely do post fake stuff on LSN just to mess with other people's heads! (And they occasionally get called out on the other pre-L boards.)

Hi... I found your blog through JD2B. I always like to hear what other pre-law bloggers are up to.

Post a Comment